The Vancouver BIA Partnership is actively collaborating with business organizations, and initiating COVID response and recovery efforts to support local businesses and communities. We greatly appreciate the assistance and collaboration with all levels of government. In addition to municipal advocacy, we are also advocating through BIABC, representing over 60 BIAs across the province, for support at the provincial level and beyond.
ADVOCACY FOR MUNICIPAL SUPPORT
ADVOCACY FOR PROVINCIAL AND FEDERAL SUPPORT
- BIABC letter to Premier Horgan with 8 key requests for small business support. (March 27)
- BIABC letter to Minister Mike Farnworth advocating for safety and security measures for small businesses and law enforcement. (March 31)
- BIABC letter to provincial ministers advocating for 4 key areas of support, including commercial rent relief, financial aid and not debt deferral, technology development funding, and involvement in the economic recovery task force. (April 20)
- Vancouver BIA Partnership letter sent to provincial and federal ministers regarding our recommendations for the financial assistance programs. (June 1)
- Key points include: introducing mechanism to allow tenants to directly access funding via CECRA; increase loan/grant amounts for financial assistance programs, including forgivable portion of CEBA (50%); decrease the eligibility thresholds to maximize number of businesses that can access funding (70% too high for CECRA); expand the timeframe for all funding programs past June.
- Vancouver BIA Partnership letter sent to the Province and Mayor's office regarding the Public Health Order on September 8th, 2020. (September 11)